With these simple steps, you can make sure that the diamond you have purchased is genuine, and, was excellent value.
First and foremost we recommend you read the “Learn About Diamonds” guide. If you are unsure about anything, please contact us anytime, we will be only too happy to answer your questions. You are also welcome to make a ‘Diamond Education’ appointment with us, this is obligation free and will take up to 30 minutes. Most diamond vendors also offer this complimentary service.
Below are some general safety checks for Australian consumers buying diamonds, jewellery and precious gemstones.
- Ask for the vendor’s Australian Business Number (ABN), business number or Australian Company Number (ACN). By using these names and numbers the diamond vendor can be checked at ASIC’s National Names Index and ABN Lookup . All good businesses display this number on their site and all the documents.
- Read the return policy of the seller carefully, a good vendor should offer a 30 day return policy on diamonds not sighted before purchase and guarantee the quality of goods.
- Australian vendors should be a member of the Jewellers Association of Australia (JAA).
- Diamonds over 0.50 carats must be accompanied with a Diamond Laboratory Certificate from a totally independent and respected Diamond Laboratory. International Certificates from unrecognised laboratories for diamonds and gems must also be verified by an independant Australian Laboratory, Gem Studies Laboratories(GSL). see laboratories
- Buying online, only viewing the diamond photo and certificate without speaking with an experienced diamond expert direct comes with high risks. GIA certification does not state the diamond shades of brown, green or milky. It is always better to speak and if you can meet face to face your diamond expert.
- A VALUATION CERTIFICATE(states a dollar value) and IS NOT A DIAMOND LABORATORY CERTIFICATE. Never buy a diamond or jewellery based on the valuation amount alone as it may be inflated.
- Read any provided Customer Testimonials as it should give you invaluable insight.. *For companies who do not provide testimonials, request them or ask for the telephone numbers of 2 previous clients.
- For added protection, payment to Australian businesses can be done by using a credit card like American Express, BankCard, Diners, MasterCard or Visa. These companies have special agreement with merchants selling by mail order, online or telephone. The publication Setting the Record Straight About Online Credit Card Fraud for Consumers by the National Office for the Information Economy, states that in most cases, buying online with a credit card is safer than brick-and-mortar stores. This is due to the fact that if the goods are not received, or are not as described, your bank can very easily do a “chargeback”, which will give you a full refund of your purchase price.
- An independent third party escrow may also be used. If a lawyer’s trust account is used, then ensure that the fees are reasonable and that the lawyer is able to use it for that disbursement. Fees and the payment of the fees for all escrow services ought to be clarified in writing
- Finally, if you are feeling unsure, go with your instinct….
Selection – By shopping with Delphi Diamonds you can find the best-cut (most beautiful) diamonds. This is because we list entire wholesaler inventories combining over 50,000 diamonds with thousands of our own stock available to view in Australia, whereas most retail stores that buy diamonds to have in stock can only buy so many and may not have the knowledge or desire to stock the best-cut diamonds.
Prices – Delphi Diamonds prices are highly competitive because of the low operation costs, we do not have the high overheads of retail outlets.
Quality & Design – Every Delphi Diamonds piece is individually designed and handcrafted by our Master Jewellers to assure the highest quality workmanship, our team also includes a Debeers Award Winner.
Lifetime care – All jewellery purchased from Delphi Diamonds, include a free lifetime service of checking, polishing and cleaning up to twice per year.
Percentage of profits goes to charities in Australia – Delphi Diamonds regularly donates and supports charities in Australia.
Proudly 100% Australian Family Owned and Operated